Recently, I’ve started writing by playing and recording a couple of quick lines after the general parameters for the track have been set. I listen several times to see if any components stand out, or commence a new part in order to keep the songwriting process fresh.
- Tempo: 102 BPM (I wanted to experiment with a slightly slower tempo to see what would happen in the writing process)
- Time signature: 4/4
- Key: B major
- Sections: 4
- Performance: band with electric guitars, synths, drums, electric drums, vocals and loop pedal. At present my aim is to create a body of work which can be interpreted in a band format. This would be in alignment with the word of the year I chose in January 2022 of ‘play.’
- Mood: Ambient, Electro, anthemic. A track with interactive elements which would work with an audience at a gig or performance.
- Drums – I wrote two parts as wanted to experiment with different placements of beats and rhythms. Also, it took the pressure off compiling one complete drum line, as my process is to work quite quickly where possible. The parts would interact with each other.
I’m intrigued by bands with two drummers – it is a set-up I would like to experiment with. In this hybrid world we find ourselves in, analogue and digital drums or synth sounds are an interesting combination to me.
- Synths – I wanted to include electronic motifs to contrast with the electric guitar.
- Tone – the sounds I initially chose were quite bright, which I changed to be heavier and more dissonant.
- Lyrics – three phrases. Writing these helped me to determine the tone and mood.
- Backing vocals – I experimented with creating patterns with elements of my voice.
Did I mention
I’m broken again
Which delete my fuel
Which delete my feel